- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 48 littleneck clams, shucked, chopped if large, shucking juices reserved and strained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 12 thick slices country bread, each 2 to 3 inches long, grilled
To a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, and let sizzle a minute, taking care not to burn it, then season with the crushed red pepper flakes and salt.
Add the clam shucking juices to the skillet, bring to a boil, and add the parsley. Let boil to reduce the juices by about half and bring the sauce together. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the shucked clams, and simmer until they are just cooked, about 2 minutes.