Brownies, Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Batter:
- 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup each all purpose and whole wheat flours
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Peanut Butter Batter:
- 1/2 stick margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup each all-purpose and whole wheat flours
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 8 inch square baking pan or spray with Pam.
Both batters: In separate bowls, one medium for the chocolate and one small for the peanut butter, stir together butter, sugar, milk and vanilla. Add eggs; beat well with a spoon or whisk until smooth.
Peanut butter batter: Stir peanut butter into the wet mixture. In a separate bowl, stir together both flours, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to the peanut butter wet mixture.
Chocolate batter - In a separate bowl, stir together both flours, baking powder, salt and cocoa - then gradually add to the "chocolate" wet mixture, stirring well to blend.
Pour half the chocolate batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Place nine dollops of peanut butter - about one heaping tablespoon each - equally spaced on top of the chocolate batter. A small scoop works great for this. With a skewer, gently swirl filling into the batter, running skewer lengthwise and then crosswise through the batter. Pour remaining chocolate batter on top of the peanut butter layer, then add another nine dollops of peanut butter batter on top, using all the remaining batter. Repeat swirling.
Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
You'll also love
- Ice Cream Layer Cake 4.4/5 (18 Votes)