Cuban Fricase de Pollo recipe
- 4 lbs chicken fryer cut in 8 pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, cut up
- 1/2 cup sour orange juice (or mix half-half lime and orange)
- 1 lg onion sliced
- 1 lg bell pepper sliced
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small can Petit Pois (English Peas)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento filled olives
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 cup dry Sherry Wine (*)
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and quartered
Adapted from tasteofcuba.com
Marinade chicken pieces in garlic cloves, citrus juice, onion and bell pepper for at least one hour. Heat oil and brown chicken. Add onion, pepper and citrus from the marinade. Add tomato sauce, raisins, olives, capers, Sherry, salt & pepper. Add water to cover the chicken. Add the potato pieces in the last 20 minutes of cooking. Add the can of small peas just before serving.
Wonderful over fluffy white rice.
(*) Be sure to use only Sherry that you would drink, as so-called "cooking sherries" are loaded with salt.