Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 pound (16 oz.) pasta (I used whole-wheat penne pasta)
- roasted red pepper sauce (see below)
- (optional toppings: extra chopped fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts)
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 jar (15.5 Ounces) roasted red peppers
- 1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, more/less to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup roughly-chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- (**see optional add-ins in note below**)
- **Sauce Alternatives**
- Want to make your sauce spicier? Add an extra half teaspoon (or whole teaspoon) of crushed red chili flakes.
- Want to make your sauce smokier? Add a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Want to make your sauce sweeter? Add an extra tablespoon or two of honey.
Adapted from gimmesomeoven.com
Cook pasta al dente in a pot of generously-salted boiling water, according to package instructions. (See below for optimal timing suggestions for cooking the pasta and the sauce.)
As your pasta water is heating up to a boil, make the roasted red pepper sauce. Using a blender or food processor, add roasted red peppers (with juices), onion and garlic and pulse until combined and smooth.
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Pour in the roasted red pepper mixture, and saute for 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to simmer. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients (stock, honey, salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper and basil), and bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and let the sauce simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until your pasta is done.
(Timing-wise, I typically add the dried pasta to the pot of water to begin cooking once my sauce has reached a simmer. That way the sauce gets to simmer for the amount of time it takes to cook the pasta.)
Once your pasta reaches al dente, drain it and transfer the pasta to the saute pan of sauce. Toss to combine. Serve immediately, garnished with extra toppings if desired.