Spanish Rice (Low Sodium)
Makes 3 cups
8.6 mg sodium per 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder (Salt Free)
- 2 tsp Spanish Paprika (or Pimenton)
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 12 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes (no salt added or the lowest sodium you can find)
- 2 cups Long Grain White Rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
In a large skillet (with lid) or dutch oven heat the oil
2. Add the rice, peppers, and onion and saute until the rice browns and the peppers and onions are tender
3. Stir in the tomatoes and water.
4. Add the cumin, paprika, and chili powder
5. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot/pan and reduce heat to a simmer.
6. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until the Rice has absorbed the liquid, stirring occasionally to keep the rice from sticking to the pot/pan.