Spanish Rice Pronto
This recipe for Spanish Rice Pronto was clipped from cardboard packaging of some kind, likely a box of Minute Rice since it’s one of the required ingredients. Date unknown. There are three variations to the main recipe included. I’ve typed it out below along with a scanned copy.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- 1/4 cup vegtable oil or butter
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce, or 4 cups (2 cans, l pound each) canned tomatoes and omit the water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder (or to taste)
- Dash pepper
- Optional: 1/2 cup frozen or canned corn, can of sliced black olives
- For an entree, add 1 pound of cooked hamburger
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from recipecurio.com
Saute onion, green pepper, and Minute Rice (right from box) in the oil. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is done. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Here are some ways to mix it up a bit:
Cheese Spanish Rice: Stir 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese into prepared rice; place in serving dish and top with additional 1/2 cup grated cheese.
Beef Spanish Rice: Prepare as above, sauteing 1/2 to 1 pound ground beef with the rice.
Mushroom Spanish Rice: Prepare as above, sauteing 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms with the rice.