Caribbean Spiced Lamb Stew
- 4 lbs lamb or goat shank, cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- steamed rice, to serve
- a handful of chopped cilantro (optional)
Adapted from thewoksoflife.com
Put the meat in a large bowl, and toss with all the spices and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
After the meat has had a chance to marinate, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and sear the meat in batches until browned. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside on a plate. Add the onions, garlic, and tomato paste and fry until the onions are softened.
Add the meat back to the pot, along with the beef stock and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven for 2 hours.
Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the carrots and potatoes. Transfer back to the oven and cook uncovered for another 45 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
Serve over steamed rice and garnish with cilantro.