Maple Bran Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups bran cereal (such as All Bran)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1/2 cup refrigerated egg product or 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp maple syrup
- fat free milk
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat twelve 2 1/2" muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir buttermilk into bran cereal; let stand for 5-10 min or until cereal is softened. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda; set aside.
3. Stir eggs, brown sugar, syrup and oil into bran mixture. Add flour mixture to bran mixture; stir just until combined. Add raisins. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, until each is nearly full.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 min or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 min. Remove from muffin cups. If desired, drizzle with Maple Icing.
In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp maple syrup. Stir in enough fat free milk (1-2 tsp) to make icing easy to drizzle.