Pasta e Fagiole
Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
A traditional Italian dish made of pasta and beans that was born out of peasant cooking.
- To Serve:
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Large Carrot, Finely Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, Finely Chopped
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Pancetta or Bacon (Optional)
- 6 Peeled, Seeded and Chopped Ripe Roma Tomatoes (or About 1 (14 Ounce) Can Chopped Tomatoes)
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 2 (14 Ounce) Tins Cannellini Beans (or Equivalent, Prepared From Dried)
- 1 1/4 Cup Small Pasta (Tubettini or Ditalini)
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes
- Good Quality Olive Oil
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
Adapted from italianfoodforever.com
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot, then cook the onion, carrot, pancetta, and celery until soft.
Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Pour in the broth, beans and chopped tomatoes, and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove a few scoops of the bean mixture and puree or mash, then return to the pot.
Add the pasta, chopped parsley and seasonings.
Cook until the pasta is cooked al dente.
Serve in bowls topped with a drizzle of olive oil, the shaved cheese and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.