Black-Eyed Peas & Collard Greens Soup
Makes 3 qts. Paula Deen Recipe.
- 2 T vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced (can use smoked pork or smoked beef)
- 1 sm yellow onion, chopped
- 1 c chopped, peeled carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz low sodium beef broth
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb collard greens, stemmed & roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 c frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 T fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme
In lg Dutch oven heat 1 T oil over med-high heat. Add sausage; cook stirring frequently until browned, 5-8 min. Remove sausage using slotted spoon & let drain on paper towels. Wipe pot clean with paper towel.
Heat remaining 1 T oil in pot over med-high heat. Add onion & carrot; cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 5 min. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 min. Stir in sausage, broth, tomatoes, greens, peas, thyme, salt & pepper until greens are wilted & bring to boil. Reduce he@t to med, cover & cook until greens & peas are tender, 30-40 min. Garnish with thyme if desired.