Vegetable Jalfrezi – Veggies in tangy smoky curry.
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 medium Red onion sliced
- 1/2 Red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 Green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke or 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper flakes
- 1/2 head of cauliflower chopped or broken into small florets
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup other veggies of choice like peas, green beans, broccoli or chopped steamed Tempeh, tofu, Soy free Chickpea tofu or lentil meatballs.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon each of chopped ginger and garlic(optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 + teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder or other deep red chili flakes or chili powder of choice.
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped(or you can use about a cup of crushed fire roasted tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or other vinegar of choice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi(dried fenugreek leaves – optional)
Adapted from veganricha.com
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Blanch the chunky vegetables- cauliflower, carrot, green beans in it for 3-4 minutes.
Strain and keep ready.
In a large pan, add 2 teaspoons oil.
Heat on high and add sliced onions.
Saute onions till the edges are brown. (5-7 minutes)
Add liquid smoke or chipotle flakes, mix well for a few seconds.
(Or you can cook the onions and peppers in a wok on high heat till lightly burnt for the smoky flavor)
Remove onions from the pan, add bell peppers and saute till the edges are brown.(5-7 minutes)
Remove bell peppers from pan.
Add a teaspoon of oil, and heat on medium.
Add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and let cook for a minute
Add in the tomatoes, vinegar, coriander powder, garam masala, chili powder, methi leaves if using, and mix well.
Cook the tomatoes until tender. 5-7 minutes, stir and mash once in between.
Add in the browned onions, peppers, blanched veggies, salt and mix well.
Add 1-2 Tablespoons water to help the sauce coat the veggies.
Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Take off heat and serve hot topped with chopped cilantro.
Serve with Rice dishes or Flat breads, bread rolls, Roti or Naan.