Mushroom And Pecan Paté
- CREAMED MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms* chopped
- 1 onion minced
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 thyme sprig chopped, (or 1/4 tspn dried thyme)
- 8 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Emmenthaler cheese
- 1 cup ground pecans
- Reserved mushroom cooking liquid and mushroom soaking liquid if dried
- mushrooms are used
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup wine (dry sherry, Madeira, or dry white)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter - (1 stick) or more
* You may use a combination of several varieties, for example: 1 pound common store mushrooms and 1/2 pound chanterelles or 1 to 2 ounces dried Italian boletes, or porcini.
If you use dried mushrooms, soak them for about 15 minutes in hot water to cover, then drain and squeeze dry. Reserve the soaking liquid.
Cook the onion in the butter over low heat in a heavy pot until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms, salt, and thyme. Cover and raise the heat for a few minutes. Empty into a strainer and press out as much juice as possible. Reserve the juice. Allow the mushrooms to cool, then mix them with the eggs, cheese, and pecans. Taste for salt and correct seasoning.
Pack the mixture into a buttered loaf pan and cover with foil. Place the loaf pan in a larger pan and pour boiling water into the pan so that it comes halfway up the side of the loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour or until the pâté is firm and slightly puffed. Allow it to set for 20 minutes before serving.
Creamed Mushroom Sauce: Place all the ingredients except the butter in a heavy saucepan. Cook until the liquid is reduced to a syrup, with only 6 to 7 tablespoons remaining. Cut the butter into 8 pieces and add one piece at a time over low heat, stirring gently. Do not add too much butter at one time. If the sauce seems too tart, add more butter.
This recipe yields 10 party servings.
You'll also love
- .Shaggy Mane Mushroom 0/5 (0 Votes)