Lamb and Bean Casserole
- 3 lb. shoulder of lamb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 slices salt pork, cut in cubes
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. bohnenkraut (summer savory/Herbs de Provence)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can (2 lb.) tomatotes
- 10 1/2 oz. beef broth
- 1 can water
- 1/2 lb. dried white beans, soaked overnight in water and drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
Saute the salt pork in a heavy saucepan for three minutes. Add the lamb a few pieces at a time and brown.
Transfer into a casserole and continue until all of the lamb has been browned. Then saute the onions until lightly browned.
Add the garlic, tomato paste, bohnenkraut, tomatoes, beef broth, water, white beans and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. then add the green beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Serve with some parsley spinkled on top.