Mushroom Spinach Baked Eggs
Looks like a good recipe for guests. Can make ahead too!
These baked eggs are so easy, and runny yolks make the perfect sauce for delicious toasted bread with spinach, mushrooms, and caramelized onions.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 6 slices potato bread, lightly toasted
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 more minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Arrange the bread in the dish in a single layer with the edges slightly overlapping, then spoon the mushroom-spinach mixture on top. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight.