Chili Con Carne
This is just your basic, tried and true recipe. You can add your favorite ingredients to make it your own.
- 4 tablespoons shortening or oil
- 1/2 cup onions -- chopped medium
- 1 clove garlic -- chopped fine
- 1 slice bacon -- chopped fine
- 1/2 cup green peppers -- diced medium
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder(or less) -- diluted in 2T warm water
- 2 cups kidney beans -- drained
- garnish with shredded cheddar cheese & finely chopped red onions - optional**
Heat shortening or oil. Add onions, garlic, bacon and green peppers and saute until golden brown. Then add ground beef and stir until meat is lightly browned.
Add tomatoes, paste, sugar , salt and chili powder diluted with water.
Cover saucepan and bring to a quick boil. Lower heat and simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Then add drained red kidney beans and simmer an additional 15 minutes. Serve piping hot with a garnish of cheddar cheese & finely chopped red onions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 475 Calories; 21g Fat (39.8% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 65mg Cholesterol; 913mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.