Easy Albondigas Soup (Mexican Meatball Soup)
Perfect weeknight meal!
- For the Soup:
- 8 cups of chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 2 tbs of fresh cilantro; chopped
- 1/4 tsp of dried oregano (adj. to your taste)
- Dash of Chili Powder.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Carrots; cut in rounds (about a 1/2 inch)
- 2 Mexican Squash; cut in rounds a little larger than the carrots
- 1 large Potato; cut into large cubes
- 1 Serrano or Jalapeno Chili; whole
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can of Mexican style diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of onion chunks
- For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb. very lean ground beef
- 2 tbs. of fresh cilantro; chopped
- 1/2 med. onion chopped fine
- 1/3 cup of uncooked long-grain or jasmine white rice
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- You can use regular Zucchini squash instead of the Mexican squash... but it will not have as firm of texture as will the Mexican squash.
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Combine all the soup ingredients listed above (except the squash)in a large pot and heat to a boil.
While you're waiting for the soup to boil make the meatballs.
Combine all the meatball ingredients listed above; in a bowl. Get your hands damp/wet and mix well by hand.
Once your soup has started boiling; form your meatballs into 1 inch balls and drop them into the soup. Lastly; add in the Mexican Squash. Cook until the meatballs and squash are cooked; about 20 minutes.
Taste test, then adjust seasonings to your taste.
Serve in large bowls accompanied with tortillas of your choice.