- Filling Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Shortening
- 5 tbsp Marsala Wine
- 2 Whole Eggs, plus 1 Egg White for Sealing
- Oil for Frying
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese (Drain Overnight in Cheesecloth)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (Sifted)
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate (Chopped)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. In a clean bowl, add the salt, sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
2. Mix well.
3. Add shortening and cut in until it resembles breadcrumbs with a pastry cutter or fork.
4. Add the 2 eggs and wine.
5. Mix until dough starts to come together,
6. On a floured surface, begin kneading dough.
7. Once a smooth ball has formed, wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
8. Remove from fridge and knead until just pliable.
9. Using a pasta roller or rolling pin, roll dough to about 1/16 inch thick or setting 6 on the roller.
10. Using a 4-inch round bowl or so, cut dough into circles.
11. Using cannoli forms, wrap dough around them and seal overlaps with egg white.
12. Heat your oil to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. Remove shells from oil once they turn golden brown.
14. In another clean bowl, add ricotta and vanilla. Mix well.
15. Add powdered sugar and whip well.
16. Zest about 1 tsp of lemon and mix well.
17. Add chocolate and mix well.
18. Load filling into a pastry piping bag/Ziploc bag with hole cut in corner and pipe into cannoli shells. Tip: Push bag in as far as it will go, then squeeze. Let the bag come out on it's own, do not pull. Repeat on other side and finished!
You'll also love
- Cannoli Pie 4/5 (1 Votes)