- 12 large manicotti pastas or in a pinch the large pasta shells
- 2 C mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 C ricotta cheese
- 6 T chopped basil or 3 T dried basil or Italian herbs
- a hand full of chopped green onions
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 small can mushrooms or 1/2 C fresh sliced
- 1 T oregano
- 1 jar marinara sauce or 2 C fresh made sauce
- 1/2 C grated parmesan or mixed parmesan and Romano cheese
- cooking spray
Cook manicotti to package directions, drain and cool. (I add a pinch of salt and a splash of olive oil to the water when cooking the pasta to avoid sticking)
Mix together 3 cups of mozzarella, all the ricotta and the basil for the filling.
Combine the marinara sauce, mushrooms, garlic and oregano in a small bowl.
Grease or spray a baking dish. Pour a small amount of sauce across the bottom of the pan just enough to cover. Carefully stuff the manicotti with the cheese filling (no problem if they do tear) Placing the stuffed manicotti in the baking dish as you go. Pour the remaining sauce over the stuffed manicotti and sprinkle with the chopped green onions, remaining mozzarella cheese, and the parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 until cheese topping is melted. About 20-25 minutes.
Let set 10 minutes before serving. I serve with fresh toasted garlic bread.