Yellow Split Pea Soup
A yellow split pea soup . . . without curry!
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, heated
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a heavy bottom soup pot and add the bacon. Cook several minutes until the bacon is beginning to crisp and has rendered its fat.
2. Add onions to the pot and stir. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Add carrots and spices. Cover pot and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add split peas and stock. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Remove bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, puree soup with the heated cream. Taste and adjust seasonings.