Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 1/4 c. Unsalted butter
- 6 Thyme sprigs
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 5 lbs. large sweet onions, vertically sliced (about 16 c.)
- 1 T. Sugar
- 6 c. Unsalted Beef stock
- 2 T. Red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 t. Kosher salt
- 1 t. Black pepper
- 24 (1/2 oz,) slices French baguette bread
- 5 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 c.)
1. Place butter, thyme, and bay leaf in the bottom of a 6 qt. slow cooker. Add onions; sprinkle with sugar. Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours.
2. Remove thyme sprig and bay leaf; discard. Add stock, vinegar, salt (adjust salt if using salted butter and/or stock), and pepper. Cook covered, on HIGH for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 30 seconds on each side or until toasted. Place 1 c. Soup in each of 12 (8 oz.) ramekins or ovenproof bowls. Top each serving with 2 slices of bread and about 2 T. Shredded cheese. Place filled bowls on a jelly roll pan. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
NOTE: I often halve this recipe and it works nicely!
You'll also love
- French Onion Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)