Spicy White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of light beer (a light lager is preferable)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Tbsp. black peppercorns, whole
- 1/2 Tbsp. caraway seeds (toasted if possible)
- small handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups of white cheddar cheese, shredded (adjust this to your liking!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (large) or 4 (small) bread bowls
- chives and chopped bacon, for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
In a deep pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook until veggies become very tender, about 20 minutes.
Add flour, and stir continuously to avoid browning. Let the veggies and flour cook for a few minutes, as this will alleviate the "flour" taste from occurring in the soup. The consistency of the veggies and flour together should feel similar to a vegetable "paste" as you stir it.
Slowly add the beer, while still stirring continuously. Then, slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Add the bay leaf, black peppercorns, caraway seeds, and fresh thyme.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the room temperature milk and half and half, then stir to blend everything together, and bring to a quick boil. As soon as the soup starts to boil, immediately turn the heat back down to a simmer, and allow it to simmer for another ten minutes.
Whisk in cheese, and check to be sure consistency is to your liking. Add more stock if it seems too thick.
Strain entire contents into another large pot, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in a bread bowls.
You'll also love
- Potato Cheese Soup - (Silver... 3.5/5 (15 Votes)