Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup
Rate this recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- 1 32-oz. bag frozen southern style hash browns
- 1/2 cup diced onion I use frozen diced onion!
- 1 32-oz. box chicken broth
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced ham
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder not in photo
- 1 8-oz. box 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 8-oz. block sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (don't buy pre-shredded, it won't melt as well)
- Bread and butter for serving
In a 6-quart slow cooker, add the frozen potatoes, onion, chicken broth, ham, pepper, thyme and garlic powder.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
When the cooking time is up, add the cream cheese to a blender, and scoop some broth and hot potatoes into the blender with the cream cheese, just enough to get the blender moving, cover and blend until smooth. Add this mixture back to the rest of the soup in the slow cooker. Add the shredded cheese and stir.
Serve with bread and butter.
Review this recipe