Cheesy Hash Brown Shepherd's Pie
- Meat Vegetable Layer
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup sweet corn (fresh, or canned and drained)
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, more or less to taste
- Cheesy Hash Brown Topping
- 6 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
1.Hash Brown Topping: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add hash browns in a single layer and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Flip hash browns and cook another 5 minutes. (They will not be all the way cooked – just golden in some places.) Set aside to cool.
2.Meat and Vegetables: Brown beef and onions in a 12” oven proof skillet* over medium high heat until beef is cooked through. Drain off excess grease.
3.Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour over meat and cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Add remaining Meat/Vegetable ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until thickened. Taste and add additional hot sauce if desired. Spread evenly in skillet.
4.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, hash browns, sour cream, salt and pepper.
5.Spread hash brown topping evenly over meat mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 400F degrees for 30 minutes or until hash brown are completely cooked then broil to desired hash brown crispiness.
*If you don't have a 12" oven proof skillet, cook in a regular skillet and transfer meat mixture and hash browns to an oven proof casserole dish to bake.
You'll also love
- Venison Shepherd's Pie 3.8/5 (4 Votes)