The Best Ever Red Velvet Cake
- For Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup light buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup prepared plain coffee
- red gel food coloring, 5-10 drops (varies with brand)
- Optional*: mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz package of reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- Optional ingredients are not included nutrition calculations.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Use a whisk to mix dry ingredients and set aside.
In a large bowl or stand up mixing bowl, combine applesauce and sweetener.
Mix in the egg whites, light buttermilk, vanilla, and red gel food coloring to the applesauce and sweetener.
Next, add the coffee and vinegar to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
Beat together the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients and make sure to beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are mixed well.
Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
Beat all ingredients together until creamy and fluffy in a stand up mixer or using a hand mixer.
Allow cakes to cool. Using dental floss or a sharp knife, slice cakes in half.
Spoon about 2 Tbsp of cream cheese icing on the bottom half and spread evenly.
Place top half back on and then cover tops with icing.
Sprinkle cakes with (optional) mini chocolate chips.