Mom's Chicken Tetrazzini
By Nicole S
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces)
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 60mins
• Preheat oven to 375°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions for al dente. Drain; transfer to a greased 13x9 in. baking dish. Add 2 teaspoons butter and toss to coat.
• Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium high heat 5-7 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
• In same pan, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add chicken, peas, pimientos and onion mixture; heat through, stirring occasionally. Spoon over spaghetti. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
• Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.