Gluten Free Whipped Shortbread
Light and fluffy gluten free shortbread
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional, but good)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional, but good)
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- cherries, coloured sugar or sprinkles for decorating
Adapted from thebakingbeauties.com
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place the butter and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Starting on slow speed, and slowly increasing, beat the butter & sugar until fully combined, scraping down the bowl in between. Add the extracts if using, and beat until blended.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Slowly add to the butter mixture while the mixer is on low speed. Once the flour has been worked in, slowly increase the speed to medium. Beat on medium speed for 5-6 minutes. This is crucial, as it adds the lightness to the dough, giving you a light, airy cookie.
4. Scoop 3/4-inch balls of dough onto the cookie sheet, keeping 2-inches between cookies. I use my small cookie scoop for this, works perfectly.
5. Use a fork, that has been floured with rice flour, to press the cookies down slightly. Place cherries, sprinkles, or coloured sugar on the top of the cookies, if using.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 23-25 minutes. You do not want the cookies to brown at all, just for the dough to set. Let cookies remain on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire cooling rack.
Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.
You'll also love
- WHIPPED ORANGE SHORTBREAD COOKIES 0/5 (0 Votes)