Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp burger seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 - 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup hamburger dill chips, chopped
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from skinnymom.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. (I used one of my favorite red casserole dishes from Chantal!)
2. In a large stock pot, cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, add olive oil and cook onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Add salt, pepper and burger seasoning to ground beef while cooking.
5. Add in tomatoes, tomato paste and mustard.
6. Allow the mixture to cook and thicken until bubbly.
7. Add the pasta to sauce and mix to cover evenly.
8. Transfer mixture to casserole dish.
9. Top with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and top with chopped dill pickles before serving (optional).