Sweet Potato BIscuits
- For the Honey Butter:
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- For the Biscuits:
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh sage
- ½ cup cold whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup golden honey
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato, chilled
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Honey butter, for serving
1. Make the honey butter: In a medium bowl, stir together the butter and honey until combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
2. Make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, yeast, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in sage. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and honey; quickly stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined. (Do not overmix.) Stir in sweet potato.
4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead very gently 5 or 6 times until dough comes together but is still slightly lumpy. (If dough is too sticky, work in up to ¼ cup more flour.) Shape dough into a disk, and pat to 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place biscuits on prepared pan. Brush with melted butter.
5. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Serve with honey butter.
• Ginger and Thyme: Substitute chopped fresh sage with 3 tablespoons chopped candied ginger and 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves.
• Rosemary and Parmesan: Substitute chopped fresh sage with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary and ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
• Orange and Rosemary: Substitute chopped fresh sage with 1 tablespoon orange zest and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary.
Review this recipe