Brussels Sprouts Casserole with Pancetta & Asiago Cheese
Once you try this Brussel sprout casserole with pancetta and asiago cheese it will become one of your favorite meals.
- 1 1/4 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 ounces pancetta or 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 clovesgarlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- Dashcrushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) or other coarse bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 1 1/2-quart au gratin dish or casserole. In a large saucepan cook Brussels sprouts and carrots in lightly salted boiling water for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender; drain well. Return vegetables to saucepan.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings in skillet. Add shallots, butter, and garlic to drippings in skillet; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in flour. Stir shallot mixture into the vegetables in saucepan. Stir in pancetta, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the salt, and black pepper. Spoon Brussels sprouts mixture into the prepared dish.
In a small bowl stir together cream, mustard, and crushed red pepper. Pour mixture over Brussels sprouts mixture. In another small bowl stir together the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the panko. Sprinkle over Brussels sprouts mixture.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and topping is golden.