Louisiana Dirty Rice
- 1 pound chicken gizzards
- 1/2 pound pork liver
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- One and two thirds cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound chicken livers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One eighth teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons water, more if necessary
- 3 cups boiled rice
Preparation time 25mins
Cut the gizzards and pork livers into small pieces and pass once through the coarse blade of a meat grinder or food processor.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet and cook the ground meat until it begins to turn brown. Add the flour and vegetables and mix well. Cook until vegetables begin to turn soft and slightly brown.
Cut up the chicken livers and add them to the skillet along with the seasonings and 2 Tbsp water. Cook over low heat until the chicken livers are done, adding a bit more water during cooking if necessary. Remove the skillet from the heat and set it in a 175 degrees F oven while you prepare the rice.
Toss the cooked rice and the contents of the skillet together in a large preheated bowl. Serve hot.