Rolled Marshmallow Fondant
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- 2 - 5 TBS water
- 2 lbs sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- To color fondant: If you need to tint the entire batch, add a little icing color to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding to the powdered sugar. For small amounts of tinted fondant, add icing color to portions of fondant as needed.
1) Place marshmallows and 2 TBS of water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 secs on high; stir until mixed well. Continue microwaving 30 secs more; stir again. Continue until melted.
2) Place 1/2 of the powdered sugar in the bottom of a bowl. Place melted marshmallow mixture on top of powdered sugar. Fold sugar until combined. Flavoring can be added at this point if desired. Add enough powdered sugar in to gather it into a dough.
3) Grease hands and work surface generously with shortening. Turn mixture out on to greased surface and knead like you would dough adding additional powdered sugar and re-greasing hands and surface so the fondant doesn't stick. If the fondant is tearing easily, it is too dry; add water (about 1/2 TBS at a time) kneading until fondant forms a firm, smooth elastic ball that will stretch without tearing, about 8 mins.
4)Coat with a thin layer of shortening and then double wrap the fondant and place in the refrigerator overnight. Fondant will keep well in the refrigerator for several weeks.
5) When not working with the fondant, keep it covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. When ready to use, knead fondant until smooth. Roll out 1/8 inch thick.