Roast Chicken with Lemon-Pepper Rub
- 1 (4lb to 5lb) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon zest plus lemon wedges (from 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed dried oregano
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
- 1 medium size yellow onion, quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth, plus more if needed during roasting
preheat oven to 300. let chicken stand at room temp 30 to 40 mins prior to roasting. stir together pepper and lemon zest in a small bowl. spread lemon-pepper mixture in an even layer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. bake until lemon zest is dry but but burnt, about 10mins. transfer lemon-pepper to small bowl, and stir in garlic powder, oregano, and 1 tsp kosher salt. stir in butter to form a paste.
adjust oven temp to 400. place chicken in the middle of the roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. place 4 to 5 lemon wedges inside chicken cavity, and sprinkle chicken all over with the remaining 2 tsp kosher salt. rub chicken all over with butter mixture. truss chicken legs with kitchen string, and tuck wing tips under body.
scatter fennel and onion around chicken; pour chicken broth over veges. bake until juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165, about 1 hour, 20mins. tent chicken with piece of aluminum foil if skin begins to burn. add more chicken stock if the veges get too dry or bottom of roasting pan gets dark.
let chicken rest 10 to 15 mins before carving. spoon cooking juices on top of carved chicken; serve with roasted fennel and onion.
You'll also love
- Stovetop Roast Chicken with Lemon... 0/5 (0 Votes)