- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk - do not shake
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 tbsp. madras curry powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 8 oz thin green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. scoop 1 tbsp. of the cream from the top of the coconut milk. toss with the chicken, 1 1/2 tsp curry powder and a big pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl, set aside 10 minutes.
2 meanwhile, lightly toast the almonds in a lg wide pot over med-high heat. remove to a bowl and reserve the pot. puree the onion, ginger, garlic, and half the almonds in a food processor.
3 heat 2 tbsp. more coconut cream in the reserved pot over med-high heat. add the onion puree and 1/2 tsp salt. cook, stirring, until the mixture is mostly dry, 5 minutes. stir in the tomatoes and remaining 1 1/2 tsp curry powder. cook until softened, 2 minutes stir in the chicken and remaining coconut milk and cream from the can. cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10 minutes. uncover and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
4. meanwhile, cook the rice as the label directs. microwave the green beans in a microwave safe bowl, covered, until bright green, about 3 minutes. add the green beans and half the cilantro to the chicken mixture; season with salt and pepper. serve over the rice; sprinkle with the remaining almonds and cilantro.