Perfect French Toast :)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Juice of 1 medium orange, (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cognac, (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 slices bread, such as brioche, sliced 1-inch thick, preferably day-old
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pure maple syrup, (optional)
-Let slices of bread sit out overnight
1. Whisk together eggs, milk, juice, vanilla, cognac, sugar, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
2. Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over bread; soak 10 minutes. Turn slices over; soak 10 minutes more or until soaked through.
3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread. Wipe skillet, and repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread. Keep in oven until ready to serve. Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.