Green Bean Salad with Cilantro and Soy-Glazed Almonds
- 1/4 cup whole almonds (about 1-1/2ounces)
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Adapted from epicurious.com
Place almonds in small nonstick skillet. Stir over medium heat until almonds are lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Increase heat medium-high. Add 3 teaspoons soy sauce and stir until soy sauce evaporates and coats almonds, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate and cool. Chop almonds. Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse beans under cold water. Drain well. (Almonds and beans can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover almonds and store at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate beans; bring to room temperature before continuing.)
Whisk vinegar, oil, garlic, ginger and remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce in large bowl to blend. Add beans and toss to coat. Sprinkle green onions, cilantro and almonds over salad and serve.
*** I had to chop almonds in food processor. They hardened in pan with soy sauce.