Mexican Style Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
Grilled vegetable sandwich with a Mexican flair! You can grill extra veggies for dinner the night before to make it easy to prepare this sandwich for the next day!
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- Cooking spray
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 (12 ounce) ciabatta bread loaf, halved horizontally
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces reduced-fat pepper-Jack cheese, shredded, about 1/2 cup
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Preheat broiler to high.
Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 11 minutes or until blackened. Wrap pepper halves in foil. Let stand 5 minutes; peel. Cut into strips. (Substitute jarred roasted red peppers as a time saver)
Place juice, oregano, oil, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground red pepper, and beans in the bowl of a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarsely chopped.
Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Arrange zucchini and onion slices on pan; grill 5 minutes on each side.
Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell. Spread black bean mixture over bottom half of bread; top with zucchini, onion, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, salt, and cheese. Top with top half of bread. Coat both sides of sandwich with cooking spray. Place sandwich on grill pan; top with a heavy skillet. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Remove sandwich from pan; cut into quarters.