Chocolate CAKE Recipe, Vegan (Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, V, Refined Sugar-Free) and Chocolate FROSTING (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
April 16, 2018 By Demeter, Beaming Baker
- FROSTING--2 batches Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- --¾ cup coconut cream
- --1 ½ cups paleo vegan chocolate chips
- CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Dry Ingredients
- 3 cups gluten free oat flour - if using homemade, make sure it's very finely ground (not coarse)
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Wet Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Adapted from beamingbaker.com
1. The night before, place can of coconut cream into the refrigerator to chill. This will make it easier to scoop the firm cream out of the can--leaving behind any extra coconut juice. Instructions on using full-fat coconut milk in Notes.*
2. Use the double boiler method to melt the chocolate and coconut cream, or do the following: add coconut cream and chocolate chips to a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments until melted and smooth. Stir between heating increments, until chocolate is melted. Once completely melted, whisk thoroughly until smooth.
3. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for 2-5 hours. It’s done when the mixture is medium firm, similar to a very firm gel. It will be stiff enough to be solid, but lightly depresses when pressing a finger into it. See Figure A.
4. Using a spoon, scoop this mixture into a large, deep mixing bowl for whipping (or use the same bowl). You may also transfer to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. If the texture is right, it won’t be too hard to spoon. See Figure B.
5. Allow to soften and warm up a bit at room temperature, for about 10-15 minutes. It should be soft enough to whip, but firm enough to not become liquidy when whipping. See Figure C.
6. Using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the frosting mixture until fluffy. The color of the mixture will lighten to that of milk chocolate. See Figure D.
7. Frost completely cooled cake or cupcakes! Enjoy.
1. Prepare the frosting: The night before, begin preparing a double batch of this Vegan Chocolate Frosting. Do not whip the frosting until the cake is cooled and ready to be frosted.
2. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans as follows: coat with softened coconut oil, then dust completely with cocoa powder. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. . Add water and milk to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until just warm. This will prevent the melted coconut oil from solidifying once mixed with these liquids.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
6. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Tap the pans several times to even out the batter and release bubbles that have formed in the batter. Bake for 22-26 minutes. Mine took 24 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick—it should come out clean when done.
7. Place pans on a cooling rack to cool for 25 minutes. Afterward, use a plastic knife to cut around the interior edges of the cake pan to loosen the cake. Shake the pan a few times until you hear the cake pop loose. Place a large plate or cooling rack upside down, on top of one cake pan. Grasping both the pan and the plate tightly, flip the cake onto the plate/rack. Repeat with second layer. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting (about 1 hour).
8. Frost the cake: Whip the frosting as instructed. Frost the cake. Enjoy! Storing instructions below!
If you prefer cupcakes, try these Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes!
- Adapted from my Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes recipe.
- Storage notes: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Okay to keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in a cool, dark environment.
- Freezing Instructions: Store pre-sliced cake in an airtight, freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 15-40 minutes before enjoying.
- More Chocolate Desserts: fudgy paleo vegan brownies, double chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, dark chocolate muffins.