Amish Sugar Cakes
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening
and 2 cups sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs,
one at a time, then the vanilla. Combine the flour,
baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and
salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately
with the buttermilk until well blended. Place big
heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets
about 3 inches apart. Sprinkle each cookie with
some of the remaining sugar.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven,
until edges begin to turn golden. Remove from
baking sheets to cool on wire racks. When cool,
store in an airtight container.