Pesto Cream Cheese Spread
- Pesto Genovese:
- 16 oz (445 g) cream cheese at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pesto Genovese (see below), or more to taste
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) pine nuts (pignoli)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt, or to taste
For the Pesto Genovese combine all ingredients in and electric blender and process until smooth, stopping the blender once or twice to scrape down the sides of the jar. When serving with pasta, "loosen" the sauce with a little bit of the boiling water from the pasta pot. Makes about 2 cups (500 ml), or enough for about 6 servings of pasta.
Then combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine thoroughly. Serve chilled with raw vegetables, bread, or crackers. Makes about 2 cups (500 ml).