Slow Cooker Cola Pot Roast
- 4-5 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
- seasoned meat tenderizer
- flour for dredging
- cooking spray or 2-3 Tbsps of corn oil for browning
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 3" pieces, or 1 lb bag of raw baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (optional - I don't like celery)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2" pieces
- 1 12 oz can cola
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 (2 oz) pkg onion soup mix (1 envelope)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3-4 whole dried bay leaves
- 3 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 240mins
Trim fat from meat, lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Brown meat on all sides in skillet.
Place celery (if using), carrots and potatoes in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Place meat on top of vegetables. Top with onion and bay leaves.
In a small bowl, stir together cola, soup mix, beef broth, and tapioca. Pour over meat and vegetables.
Gently crush the whole bay leaves to release their flavor. Place the bay leaves and onion slices on top of the roast, vegetables and sauce.
Cover and cook on low setting for 8-9 hours or on high setting for 4 to 5 hours. Check with a meat thermometer. You want the internal temperature to reach at least 160F before serving.