- 1 1/2 lb Fresh Lasagna
- 2 lb Regular Ricotta – Pollyo
- 2 lb Skim Ricotta – Pollyo
- 2 lb Pollyo Whole Milk Mozzarella grated using Cuisinart shredding disk
- 1 C Parmesan (parmigiano reggiano)
- 1 lb Ground Sirloin
- 2 1/2 lb Italian Sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 6 28 oz Cans Italian Plum Tomatoes – Progresso
- 1 T Salt
- 1 t Pepper
- 3 t Basil
- Few Bay Leaves
Brown sausage medium heat 20 minutes, add ground beef and continue browning (15-20 minutes), be careful not to burn. Add tomatoes blended in Cuisinart and seasonings. Bring to boil and simmer 2-3 hours until thickened. (If sauce is still runny, reluctantly add 3 T tomato paste.)
Mix ricotta, parmesan and enough sauce to make mixture spreading consistency.
Best results - use 2 pans - (1) 10x14 (1) 9x13.
Cover bottom of baking dishes with thin layer of sauce. Place noodles on top and spread ricotta mixture to cover noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella (about ¾ cup). Repeat layers of sauce, pasta, ricotta and mozzarella 2 more times to end up with 3 layers. Then top this with sauce and 1 C mozzarella.
Bake two pans at 350° loosely covered with foil for 40 minutes. Remove foil, and then bake an additional 40-50 minutes. Decrease baking time to about 1 hour total for one pan of lasagna.