Green Chicken Chili
- 3 large green bell peppers, 1 left whole, 2 cored and coarsely chopped
- 5 tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
- 2 large jalapeños
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup beer (not dark)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground chicken
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small white onions, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
Over a gas burner on medium high heat, place one whole pepper, tomatillos and jalapeños directly over flame until completely charred, transfer to medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap until skin starts peeling off, about 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle remove the skin, seeds and dice. Set aside.
In a blender place the remaining peppers, chicken stock and beer and purée. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large pot. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chicken and cook, breaking up any large pieces, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add roasted pepper mixture, beans and onions and cook until onions are translucent and soft, about 8 minutes.
Add stock mixture, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with chopped scallions and sour cream.