Little French Fudge Cakes
- One 3.5- or 4-ounce bittersweet chocolate bar (Lindt Excellence 70%, Valrhona 71%, Scharffen Berger 70%, or Ghirardelli 70% Extra bittersweet, in order of our preference), broken up
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken up
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk (for a double recipe, use 5 eggs)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour, organic preferred (measured by dipping and leveling)
- Half of a 3.5- to 4-ounce bittersweet chocolate bar, broken into bite-sized pieces
Adapted from splendidtable.org
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a dark metal 6-cup cupcake tin.
2. Combine the broken-up bittersweet and unsweetened chocolates with the butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Melt them for 2 to 3 minutes at medium-low power. Check by stirring, as chocolate holds its shape when microwaved. Or melt it in a heatproof bowl over simmering water.
3. In a medium to large bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, vanilla, eggs and yolk, sugar, and salt until creamy. Stir in the flour to blend thoroughly. Then stir in the chocolate/butter mixture until smooth. Finally, blend in the bite-sized pieces of chocolate. Pour the batter into the cupcake pan, filling each three-quarters full.
4. Bake the cupcakes for 18 minutes. Insert a knife into the center of a cupcake. It should come out with some streaks of thick batter. If you have any doubt about doneness, press the top of a cupcake to see if it is nearly firm. Remove them from the oven. Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes to serve warm, or for 20 minutes to serve at room temperature.