First-Aid Antiseptic Ointment
Shared 2/14/14 on -
- 1 1/2 ounces beeswax, grated
- 1 cup olive, almond, or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1/2 teaspoon tea tree oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
Adapted from frugallysustainable.com
1. Over very low heat, in a small pot or double boiler, melt oils and beeswax.
2. Remove from heat and add vitamin E oil and essential oils. Stir with a chopstick.
3. Pour mixture into small sterilized jars (or a mason jar). Allow to cool on counter.
4. Store in a cool, dark place. Use as needed on wounds. Will keep for approximately 5 years.
-Antiseptic properties of the essential oils include:
◾Tea tree oil: antibiotic, anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial
◾Lavender: analgesic (pain relief), antibiotic, anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial
◾Lemon: antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial
-For those who do not like the smell of lavender…you may substitute chamomile essential oils for lavender and fir essential oils for lemon.
-I purchase the ingredients used in this recipe from a local health food store. Otherwise, I like to purchase from Mountain Rose Herbs or The Bulk Herb Store. You can purchase beeswax here.