Asian Tofu Salad
- (1 1/4 cups salad, 2 slices tofu,
- and 1 tablespoon dressing each)
- CARB. PER SERVING 18 g
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 16- to 18-ounce package firm water-
- packed tofu (fresh bean curd)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled jicama
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded
- and thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted dry-
- roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, chili sauce, peanut butter, garlic, and ginger. Pat tofu dry with paper towels. Cut tofu crosswise into 12 slices. Place slices in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Drizzle tofu with 3 tablespoons of the soy sauce mixture, turning to coat tofu. Let marinate 30 minutes, turning tofu occasionally. Set aside the remaining soy sauce mixture for dressing.
2. In a very large nonstick skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high
heat. Remove tofu from the marinade. Add remaining marinade to the
skillet. Add tofu slices to the hot skillet. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once halfway through cooking.
3. In a large bowl, combine lettuce, jicama, sweet pepper, and carrot.
Divide among six salad plates. Top with tofu, peanuts, and cilantro.
Serve with reserved dressing mixture.
179 cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat),
o mg chol., 515 mg sodium, 18 g carb.,
3 g fiber, 11 g pro. Exchanges:
1.5 vegetable, 0.5 carb., 1 medium-fat
meat, 0.5 fat. Carb choices: 1.