- 6 slices bacon - diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups wild rice or potatoes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cup diced carrots or corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 cups half & half ( I use coconut milk)
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fry bacon in large saucepan; remove to paper towels and drain. Add butter to bacon drippings, if necessary, to make 3 tablespoons. Add celery, wild rice, onion and carrots. Saute stirring constantly, until onion and celery are tender. Stir in flour until well incorporated.
Add chicken broth and seasoning, stirring to blend well. Cook, stirring until thickened. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
Add the diced chicken (and corn if using) and simmer 7 minutes longer until vegetables are tender.
Add half & half and tomatoes. Heat through and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.