Creamy Southwest Chicken from About.com
This skillet chicken dish is one you can have on the table in 20 minutes, start to finish, using canned green chiles and shredded cheese. The chiles are mild, so this isn't a spicy dish, but is a tasty one. Serve with refried beans and/or a salad and sliced avocado.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 C minced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6-8 oz canned chopped green chiles (depending on can size)
- Optional: small amt of chicken stock or Better than Boullion
- 1/4 C cream
- 1/3 C shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
1) Heat large skillet with oil.
2) Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Saute' till brown on both sides, adding onions about half way through.
3) Add garlic and cook for another minute.
4) If needed, deglaze the pan with a little water or chicken stock. Add 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon if desired.
5) Add green chiles and cream, and simmer until chicken is done and sauce is thickened.
6) Top with cheese, and serve when cheese melts.
Optional garnish: avocado slices; cilantro
Makes 3-4 servings
Nutritional Analysis for each of 3 servings: 4.5 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber, 38 grams protein, 18 grams of fat, 347 calories.