- 3/4 lb. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raspberry preserves
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and make 2 3/4 inch cutouts with a plain or fluted cutter. With half of the cutouts, use a 1 inch cutter to remove the middle. Place all cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and chill for 15 minutes.
4. Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature. Spread raspberry preserves on the flat side of each solid cookie. Dust the top of the cutout cookies with confectioner's sugar, and press the flat sides together over a solid cookie, with the raspberry preserves in the middle and the confectioner's sugar on the top.