Toddle House Chocolate Pie
Supposed to be a dead ringer for the Toddle House favorite
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 Tbs. cocoa (use less next time)
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 1/2 Tbs. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Put sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a heavy 4-qt pot. Slowly whisk in milk. Cook on medium high heat to a low boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Stir 3 tablespoons of hot chocolate mixture into bowl of egg yolks. Then add egg yolk mixture back into rest of chocolate mixture. Continue to stir. Put back on burner and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into baked pie shell. Cover with waxed paper to seal. Chill.
3. Remove paper and top with 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped with a little sugar. Refrigerate until served.