Black Forest Oatmeal Parfait
Black cherry chocolate steel-cut oats sandwiched between layers of vanilla vegan yogurt speckled with chopped cherries.
- 2 cup (500ml) Plain So Delicious Almond Milk (or So Delicious Coconut Milk, any flavor)
- 1/2 cup (40g) steel-cut oats
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon black cherry extract
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon stevia)
- 6 cherries, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 container Vanilla So Delicious Yogurt (regular or Greek)
- extra pitted cherry and chocolate shavings to make it pretty
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
Make the Oatmeal One of These Ways:
1. Slow Cooker Instructions:
Please note: This uses a smaller slow cooker that is 1 1/2 to 2 quarts
The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add all the ingredients except the sweetener and toppings. Cook on low overnight (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well and add sweetener. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.
2. Stove-top Instructions:
Add the So Delicious Almond Milk to a pot, turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Then turn heat down to medium low and add oats, cocoa, and extract. Cook for about 30 minutes and make sure to stir often so they won't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Stir and add sweetener to taste.
Once you’ve cooked and sweetened your oatmeal, you’re ready to build your parfait. Mix chopped cherries into the Vanilla So Delicious Yogurt to make your “icing”. Alternate oatmeal layers with yogurt ones in a glass or small bowl. Top with chocolate shavings.